Media & Press
Great press on SF Gate and Oakland Local …Check it out!
57th Street Gallery: Where Art, Jazz & Community Mix
“On any given Monday night in Oakland, you can swing by 57th Street Gallery and listen to some great local jazz, maybe jam with some world-renowned musicians yourself. Maybe even get some birthday cake to boot.
That was the case one recent Monday night at the venue’s Blue Monday’s Jam Session. It was Carole’s 85th birthday and there was plenty of good cheer and cake to go around.
Carole and about a dozen of her friends are regulars to Blue Monday. Every Monday night from 7-11 p.m. you too can jam with, or just sit and blissfully listen to, the inimitable Calvin Keys on guitar, Keith Saunders on piano, Art Maxwell on saxophone and flute, Carla Kaufman on bass, and Leon Joyce, Jr. on drums… ”
Read the complete article on Oakland Local • Also referenced on SF Gate
Known Around the World!
• “Maxwell’s flute playing is harmonically sophisticated, swinging and energetic… tuneful originals… Maxwell has talent to spare…”
– Cadence (Redwood, New York)
• “Berkeley flute virtuoso… exquisite cuts on Berkeley flutist Art Maxwell’s ‘Latin Up’…”
– East Bay Express
• “There was untold fragrant beauty in the flute playing of Art Maxwell…”
– The Daily Californian
• “Art plays the hell out of the flute…”
– Stan Getz
• “Diane Witherspoon has a splendid CD issued on Tonal Gravity Records. Produced by Berkeley flutist Art Maxwell… the disc contains consistently impressive performances all ’round…”
– Phillip Elwood, Jazz Beat, The San Francisco Examiner
• “A first rate flutist and composer.”
– Lee Hildebrand, The East Bay Express
• “Bay Area flutist Art Maxwell produced and plays on this fine solo debut album.”
– Derk Richardson, S.F. Bay Guardian Music Quarterly
• “Showing his usual mastery of the woodwinds…”
– California Jazz Now, Sept, ’93